Thursday, December 22, 2011

Why Are These People Talking Like Children??

I dislike when commercials have their own mythology, a back story you need to know to understand the ad. I'm not saying that can't be a clever conceit, but in general, it supposes a knowledge of the commercial's universe that I don't usually possess.

I don't know if that's the case with the Subway "Adults Talk Like Kids Where Subway Sub Sandwiches Are Involved" series of ads or not... I've seen several of these commercials and I always feel like I'm missing a key component. Namely: why the hell do these adults have kids' voices? Are Subway subs so delicious that they make you feel young at heart? Do they hearken back to our youths, when girls would feign affection for us just to get our lunches? Are Todd and Sally beneficiaries of Zoltar's magic? I don't understand. And I don't understand why this is supposed to make me want to eat at Subway.



But maybe there's some central joke here that I'm totally missing... some overarching pun or cleverness that I missed out on because, perhaps, I never saw the first installment of the series in which children are magically transformed into gorgeous blond chicks and doofy looking dudes and forced to get menial office jobs where they treat mediocre sandwiches like engagement rings? I'm pretty sure, though, it was probably an attempt to come up with an original twist on those creepy-ass talking baby commercials. "Instead of a baby with a grown up voice, wouldn't it be funny if adults had little kid voices?" "OH MY GOD! HILARIOUS! LET'S SHOEHORN IT INTO A COMMERCIAL!" And then, from there, it delighted people nationwide and they decided to turn it into an ongoing series. And all of us suffer.

1 comment:

  1. It reminds of the "Kid History" videos on You tube. other than that... yea creepy.

    ReplyDelete